Last fall, I discovered this wide metallic elastic at JoAnn's that is not only shiny and fun, but is also quite soft (for elastic) on the back. I told Althea I was thinking of using it to make her a skirt or a dress and she declared "overalls!"
That sounded like a brilliant idea.
So I used the silver elastic and constructed a pair of pink and white striped overalls with a navy floral print (both fabrics were part of an amazing fabric gift I've written about previously) used to line the bib and to create a bib pocket along with some side pockets.
The front has a ~1 1/2" waist band necessitated by the side pockets that creates a flat front.
I did have to construct the front half of the pants twice; after attaching the pocket bag and waist band the first time, I realized my measurements were no good. And after neatly enclosing the front of the elastic straps between the bib and bib lining, I realized the bib was too high and had to be folded over a couple inches and sewn down to avoid choking her. I also realized at that point that CallAjaire had just put out the paneled sunsuit, and using that pattern as a base may have saved me some aggravation.
Then, before I knew it, she grew a few more inches, & these pants that I made at the start of school were too short by Christmas break.
So I figured she needed a winter pair, & the others can be capris this spring. When I read the PR&P themes, & saw "metallic" among them, I went right to work.
This time around I used the gold elastic instead of the silver. And, inspired by the theme, I decided to trim the bib pocket with gold lamé. I also used a gold thread for all the top stitching that I don't think shows up in these photos.
For the main fabric I used my husbands old jeans (he beats them up good, so I needed two pairs to have enough fabric) and the pocket and lining is an old pair of pajama pants of mine that were covered in cats.
You can see below that they are a little two-toned (darker in the back) due to the two different pairs of jeans. But, sometimes I feel it's more worth it to use what I have than to match perfectly.
The second time around was so much easier though, because I saved all my adjusted pattern pieces. The only thing I did different was add several inches of length.
* This was my first time posting from my phone-
I will update this post with appropriate links and enlarged photos next week! Thanks for your patience waiting for me to add all appropriate links and larger photos!
I'm hoping that my kids will value comfort and originality in their clothes for a long time to come.
Thanks for stopping by!